After watching these TED Talks and learning more about online privacy in class, I have realized just how little privacy we actually have. I have always known that the internet tracks information about us, but I never realized how detailed that information can become. Between data mining, location tracking, and digital dossiers, companies and even the government can create an extremely detailed picture of who we are.
Catherine Crump's TED Talk, what bothered me the most was learning how law enforcement can track people's license plates and use that information to see where they go on a daily basis. Something as simple as driving to church, therapy, or a political demonstration can become a part of a record about you. It especially bothers me that departments can make assumptions about people based on these locations. Crump suggests deleting information that is no longer needed, but I honestly fo not find that very realistic. With technology and AI continuing to advance, I think this issue will only become more complicated.
Juan Enriquez compared our online activity to "electronic tattoos," which really stood out to me. I've had my fair share of accidentally posting the wrong thing, and it never feels good because I have been told my entire like that the internet lasts forever. Being a pastor's daughter and now a university ambassador has expecially engraved into my brain that I need to watch what I post.What I found the most interesting was Enriquez comparing our digital presence to a form of immortality. As someone who is afraid of death, you would think immortality would sound comforting, but it actually does not. The idea that pieces of me could exist online forever is unsettling. These talks made me realize that privacy is not only about what we choose to post. It is also about what happens to our information after we give it away.

No comments:
Post a Comment